Sunday, April 11, 2010

Entry 5 - Diary of a Dominatrix

For the Women comic writers section of class this week, I chose to read Molly Kiely's Diary of a Dominatrix. This was a really different choice for me, I've never read anything like it, and I've never been interested in fetishes or masochism. I've also never really read any erotica type comic. Though I don't really see this work as something someone would read for pleasure.

So first off I'd have to say this work is out of my comfort range, and maybe that was a good thing. However I didn't really find it that interesting or entertaining. I found some parts really disturbing and uncomfortable. Most specifically was the depiction of a home done vasectomy.

What I did like about this comic was its simplicity, and occasional humor. The story isn't complicated at all. There really isn't much of a plot, it is merely a series of events in the life of a dominatrix. As well as an explanation of details of a Dominatrix's life. When I say details, I really mean it too! Tools and procedures are outlined to their fullest extent. Things I never really new that existed as methods of "pleasure".

Overall I think it's sometimes good to step out of your area of comfort. I'm not opposed to sex or even dominatrix fetishes; however dominatrix fetish and masochism make me uncomfortable. There were a ton of images in that comic that just as a male made me cringe. Somehow Kiely does a good job of a pulling back after making you cringe and enjoying some light humor. My favorite part of the comic is when Zelda (the Dominatrix) tortures a client by putting him in an isolation mask and making him listen to Kiss. I found myself laughing at that to be honest. She says at the end of the scene "When we next meet–you will recite...forwards, backwards, and in Pig-Latin...Every song." I think the thought of Kiss as torture is pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment