Monday, April 19, 2010

Promethea

At first glance I wasn't sure I would enjoy Alan Moore's Promethea. I found the story to be really strange, but in a good way. It was really unique. I guess maybe that is the key, to make something so strange that it is completely original. I only read the first three volumes so I don't know where the story is going, however I am compelled to read more and find out.

Something that struck me immediately was the art, and the paneling. I felt like the paneling was really unconventional and interesting. I particularly like the style of a scene from the 3rd volume. All the panels occurred in layers, like rings in a tree trunk or something.
I also really enjoyed the art work done on the outsides of the panels. Overall as a designer I could really appreciate it.

I felt really inspired by the unconventional panels and the art work around the panels. Not to mention that the illustration of the comic is very well done and well colored. I actually don't usually like this comic style. I don't know how to explain it, and I am not sure what it is called. It seems like a very contemporary style of coloring and illustration and I never really liked it. Maybe I had blocked myself from reading comics in this style in the past. But as I read this I started to like the style. So either the artist was just incredibly good at it, or I acquired a taste for it.

Back to the story of Promethia, I have never read anything like it. It is a comic that seems completely aware of itself. The very fact that the hero is completely created by myth and imagination is really interesting. The story seems to have a little of everything. Funny futuristic 1999, Ancient Gods, Egyptian themes, demons, a Weeping Gorilla comic within a comic, and even fairy tale characters. I'm not sure how the story progresses yet, but I feel it has the possibility of being endless considering that the character of Promethia is passed on from person to person.

Overall I'm compelled, and would like to keep reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment