Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fables

The cover art of Fables has always attracted me, however I never checked it out until now. Luckily it wasn't just the outside that is interesting. I found that I not only really enjoyed Fables visually, but I also really enjoyed the concept. The fact that basically every character from classic fables are hiding among us in New York feels really original. The re-imagining and mashing up of classic characters from a wide range of stories makes for endless possibilities. Especially when you set them in modern times, sometimes with alternate human identities.

I tale I was reading was about Snow White and her sister Rose Red's death. It becomes a murder mystery in which the Big Bad Wolf (in human form) is a detective. Eventually the story leads to explaining that all of these characters lived in adjacent worlds until an evil threat destroyed all of their kingdoms. They now live secretly among the populous of New York City.

Not only did I really enjoy the concept of Fables, but I also appreciated the art style. Every illustration was really well done, in a fairly realistic style. The muted color palette used was appealing to me. The use of ornamental frames to outline certain scenes is a nice break from the traditional rectangular paneling.

Overall I am intrigued by the world of Fables and would like to continue reading the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment