Monday, May 3, 2010

Final: Blankets Entry Revisited

It has been a few months now since I read Blankets for the first time. I remember going into it knowing that people generally really love it. I remember starting it and continuing to breeze through the thick volume like it was nothing. Blankets was such an easy read for me. It kept me engaged, and I remember reading it in public places; anywhere I could carry it with me.

Out of everything I read this semester this is the work that captivated me most. This is the work I remember most, and this is the work that upon completion I recommended to many people.

There is a lot to like about Craig Thompson's Blankets. Most primary was the style of the artwork. I have always really enjoyed black and white comics in particular. I come from a background of mostly reading manga, Ashley Wood comics, and Johnny The Homicidal Maniac So with those in mind I can see why I really like Thompson's line quality and his very iconic characters. The very way Craig portrays himself in the comic is very simple and relateable. I actually felt I like became this character. I felt like this was somehow my story.

The excellent art of course only helps drive a very simple and real story. Everything is so well articulated through the actions and emotions of the characters, the use of wordless frames, and the skillful way Thompson shows time passing. The story seems infinitely relatable. I just feel like everyone has been somewhere along the lines of where he is in their life. Everyone has longed for someone, who perhaps returned the feelings but could not commit. Everyone has felt out of place, everyone has either had that crazy family or known that crazy family.
Aspects of the story that you may not be able to relate to as well are still equally articulated. I for one have never had an internal religious struggle. I feel however completely empathetic towards the situation, because Thompson relates what it feels like so well.
I feel the closing line of the comic sums up its overall theme very well. Temporality is very confusing, but sometimes satisfying. This work really got me thinking about a current situation that is very personal. The ending not only made me let out a heavy sigh, it made me sad. However it was really good. Even when things seems to be set up perfectly, they don't always flow together in the correct manner. Just like with Craig and Raina's relationship. I have learned very recently that things are not always so easy or simple even if feelings are mutual. Blankets only served to reinforce this discovery in my mind. I keep this story in mind through every I am facing recently in similar situations. Sometimes you cannot predict what is going to happen. You can't plan for the future. You never know how things are going to work out. Blankets showed me a good example of that. And I think it is important when a work of art can change the way you think.

Overall Blankets, though unusually long for a graphic novel, was a fairly quick read. The story moves really steadily and keeps you interested. You tend to find yourself getting lost in it and reading a couple hundred pages in a pretty short amount of time. I'm not sure exactly how Thompson does it, but he did it that's for sure. Blankets was genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment